CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Class of '88 Reunion

What a weekend! It has been filled with old friends and good times. On Friday night we attended the Dorman Homecoming game with Sara and Owen. We saw so many of our high school friends with their families.


Crissy was there with her husband and two TEENAGERS! Crissy and I go all the way back to 6th grade. She is still the same fabulous person I bonded with as a 12 year old. I hope Sara and Kaitlyn still know each other when they're 38. There's nothing like shared history.

Holly was there with her family. She turned out just as I always thought she would. She's a sweet, loving, patient mother to 2 adorable kids. Holly was born to be a mom.

Karen traveled all the way from Florida for the weekend. She has the cutest little boy and she still remembers everything, all those deep conversations we used to have in Psychology class instead of doing classwork.

Just so many people! Even Mrs. B- was there. It was so good to see her. I've never been one to frequent Homecoming games at Byrnes. I've just always thought the alums want to see each other, not their old teachers. I think I may change my ways. Seeing Mrs. B- was so fantastic for me and for Daniel. She was a mom away from our moms. She immediately saw us in Sara and Owen, not just "she looks like you" as most people do. She looked deeper. Mrs. B- said Owen had my "intense" look (and he does now that I think about it). She would always see in us what we overlooked. That's what made her our favorite teacher.

Last night we attended the Reunion Party at the Piedmont Club. We got all dressed up and spent 4 hours reliving the old days, catching up, and remembering that in losing touch over the years, we lost something important. These are the people we were and we wouldn't be who we are without them.

I was so happy to see April. We were inseparable throughout high school. Last night I remembered why. She's so easy to talk to and it was like picking up a conversation from a week ago, not 7 or 8 years ago.

The weekend was full of my old girlfriends and that was so great, but something was missing. Where were Daniel's guys? What happened to the Four Horsemen? (So named after professional wrestlers, not the ones from the Bible. Daniel clarified that for me last night. Some of their adventures had seemed apocalyptic though...) I was disappointed for him on Friday. He knew all of the girls and saw PLENTY of other folks he knew, but it isn't the same when you don't get to see your best friends.

But Saturday night was better. He got to see Aqil. He and Daniel haven't seen each other in at least 15 years. It was so great. Aqil is a doctor and has just moved back to Spartanburg. Seeing the two of them together was such a blast from the past. They complement each other so well.

This weekend we all made promises to do a better job of keeping in touch. Really there is no excuse for it. Many of us live so close to one another and those who live far away are as close as our computers.

To those whose faces I so wanted to see, but who didn't make it this weekend (Laura, Javier, Jack, and the other two horsemen - Brian and Tony), I'm looking for you. We have some catching up to do.


0 comments: