CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It's finally here! No, I'm not talking about back to school time, or autumn leaves time. I am talking FOOTBALL people. We just wrapped up the first full week of bliss - NFL, college, and high school football. I am in heaven. No other sport or hobby gives me the same adrenaline rush that watching a football game does. I have never been known to jump up and down in the living room screaming "GO,GO,GO" because my daylillies or roses are blooming. I love reading, but I don't pound my fist on the table when the protagonist of the novel messes up. However, I do all those things when watching football.
Seeing football games in person is good. We try to see one or two Byrnes games each year (and occasionally a Dorman game). The Byrnes games are really more of a social event than anything. So many people to see that it's hard to focus on what's going on. And, not to boast, but well, the outcome usually isn't in question.
We also try to attend a USC game when we can. Those are always fun and they bring back lots of college memories. I've been to a few NFL games too. My favorite was the year Daniel took me to see Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers play in Charlotte. This year we're taking Owen and Sara to see Owen's beloved Carolina Panthers. That should be a fun weekend.
However, my favorite way to watch football is right in my own living room. We make some good food on Sunday afternoon, pile up in front of the TV, and root (loudly) for and against a myriad of teams. Two additions to our ritual in recent years have increased my fun tremendously - NFL Sunday ticket (we can see any game we want to) and fantasy football. I hated fantasy football until I understood it. Now that I've been playing for two years, I love it. It doesn't hurt that my team (Campy's Campers) won the family Super Bowl last year (thank you, Brett Favre). Now, I have not only teams that I love to watch (Green Bay and now the Jets too), but I have players all over the place and whomever I'm playing against has players all over the place so almost any game is more exciting.
By the way, the Campers are 1-0 this season. Sorry, Daniel.

0 comments: